It’s always a good idea to think about how to ensure all of your belongings, whether at home or on vacation with you, are secure and protected while you’re away.
Protect Your Home
This doesn’t just happen in the movies. If your entire family is on vacation, burglars can sense it. Do a few things to make sure your home still appears to have you in it:
· Put a stop on your mail so it doesn’t pile up. The wrong person might notice a full mailbox or see newspapers piling up on the stoop and know that you're away.
· Have lights on a timer, so that it looks like somebody's home at night. With the right device, you can even have them hooked up to your phone.
· Have a neighbor or friend shovel your snow in the winter. If left untouched, even the timed- lights trick won't fool a burglar from knowing you're really not home.
· Refrain from posting on social media until you’re back that you're away somewhere else. If possible, save sharing those tropical pics until you're back.
. Have your lawn care service continue to maintain your lawn.
. Leave the radio on in your home for the noise, so that it looks like somebody's home.
PROTECT WHAT YOU'VE BROUGHT WITH YOU
· Before booking your hotel, make sure they have positive reviews when it comes to security. Make sure your hotel has positive reviews and possibly and see if they offer an in-room safe.
· While traveling (on a plane, bus or train), always keep your valuables with you—money, electronics, expensive jewelry, passport, important documents, or anything else you can't afford to lose. As much as you want to trust the workers on the other end of your check-on bag, horror stories do exist of valuable items mysteriously vanishing from
· Separate your cash into stashes. Don't keep all your money in one place. This will be extremely important in case something does get lost or stolen.
· Consider purchasing travel insurance. The peace of mind that comes with knowing that everything is taken care of just in case feels really good. Always plan ahead to protect yourself and your belongings.
Doing this will help you to enjoy your vacation that much more!